D-Crypt for COVID 19
COVID-19 Vaccine Candidate
Premas Biotech specializes in developing recombinant proteins for vaccine development. Such proteins are often “difficult to express proteins” (DTE-Ps). Our innovative D-Crypt platform is optimized for high-yield production of DTE-Ps, singularly, or in combination.
Through a partnership with Akers Biosciences, Premas is leveraging D-Crypt to develop a multicomponent recombinant protein vaccine against COVID-19.
How does it work?
Immune cells are programed to identify and destroy infectious agents by recognizing proteins on the surface of a virus or bacteria. COVID-19 has three surface proteins that are potential vaccine candidates, the Spike Protein, the Envelope Protein, and the Membrane protein. An ideal COVID-19 vaccine candidate would target more than one antigen. The D-Crypt platform allows the expression of each of these proteins individually or collectively, in different combinations. The ability to express three of the major COVID-19 surface antigens simultaneously improves the likelihood of generating an efficacious vaccine.
Our deep experience in developing multi-component vaccines.
Premas has developed over 25 vaccine candidates for human and animal use, including bacterial, viral,
anti-helminthic, and ScFV based vaccines.
The D-Crypt platform has previously scaled multi-component protein systems successfully and applied them to vaccine development. Our platform is the only example to have expressed more than 30 different type 1 membrane proteins, including the Influenza virus NA protein and the Rotavirus spike protein. Our success in expressing the large, complex NA protein, gives us confidence that we can produce the COVID-19 type 1 membrane proteins successfully.
Advantages of the Premas approach
- + Recombinant protein vaccines are a well-established method of vaccine development and are known to be very safe.
- + Highly scalable processes compared to vaccine candidate strategies based on RNA or DNA, enabling a faster development process.
- + The D-Crypt platform uses a yeast expression host, which has GRAS (“generally recommended as safe”) status granted by the USFDA, expediting regulatory approval.
- + The Premas team is highly skilled in developing multi-component recombinant protein vaccine candidates. We operate from a 20k square foot facility, which is ISO9001:2015 certified, and GMP compliant.
- + Premas is capable of process development, scaling up, and production of proteins and has developed more than 650 specialized proteins for our global partners.